1. Verbs in -ing
Continuous verb tenses (present continuous, past continuous, etc.) are built with the main verb ending in -ing. However, the structure verb + -ing is also used in other cases depending on the verb combination or the position of the verb.
2. How do you use verbs in -ing?
We will use a verb in -ing depending on the verb that it is combined with or the position of the verb:
- At the beginning of a sentence.Having a nap has benefits.Breaking up with your partner is never easy.
To make a negative sentence of this type, the particle not will be placed before the verb.Drinking water is a healthy habit.Not drinking water is an unhealthy habit.
- After certain verbs (suggest, finish, enjoy, love, hate, like, consider, fancy...).
She loves having parties at the weekend.She suggested watching a play at the theatre.
- After a preposition (at, for, before, by, on, after, without).
She is good at singing.You should be ashamed of cheating.
- In activities preceded by the verb go.She goes skiing every winter.I went sightseeing around Pisa.
3. Verbs in -ing as a subject or as an object
A verb + -ing form can be the subject of a sentence (it has the function of a noun) or the object of a sentence.
|Continuous verb tenses||Now I'm dating Manolo.|
|At the beginning of a sentence||Running every morning is a good habit.|
|Activities preceded by go||We go salling every summer.|
|Complement of another verb||I don't mind helping you with the shopping.|
|After a preposition||I'm thinking about moving to the city.|